For Immediate Release
NEW YORK, NY SEPTEMBER 19, 2016
On Sunday, September 25, 2016, people across the globe will unite in celebration of the 5th annual World Dream Day. Hailed as one of the most innovative days to capture the human imagination and gain popular momentum in recent history, World Dream Day is the first participatory holiday with the expressed mission of empowering individuals, businesses, organizations and communities to proactively activate their ideas, goals, and dreams to create a better world.
Launched in 2012 and currently celebrated in more than 70+ locations globally, a key focus of World Dream Day is to fill the world with DreamRunners. A DreamRunner, according to www.worlddreamday.org, is defined as an individual, organization or community actively moving forward with their ideas, goals, and dreams, while inspiring and motivating others to do the same. The City of Detroit will receive the 2016 DreamRunner Award.
“We are excited to carry on World Dream Day’s tradition of honoring powerful examples of possibility. This year, we honor the role that design has played in the heritage and transformation of Detroit, and by doing so underscore the importance of Design as an essential component to making any idea, goal or dream a reality. Recognized by UNESCO as a City of Design, Detroit is Dream-Centered Design at its best.” states Ozioma Egwuonwu, founder of World Dream Day.
Detroit will also host World Dream Day’s 5th-anniversary main event, an inspirational DreamDialogue titled Designing the Dream, hosted in partnership with Courtney Henriette, co-owner of the highly acclaimed Detroit-based fusion restaurant Katoi.
In addition to individual and collective celebrations held around the world, World Dream Day will launch the #DreamEffectChallenge, a social impact initiative that aims to inspire and empower individuals to “activate their impact.” Participants take part in the challenge by creating a video where they declare their dream, state the desired effect they wish their dream to have in the world, nominate others to take the challenge with them, then share their video across social media using #DreamEffectChallenge.
Unique to World Dream Day this year is fully leveraging Facebook–particularly Facebook live– as the key platform to bring the 5th-anniversary celebratory experience to life. The following curated content will be shared via World Dream Day’s Facebook feed throughout the week:
- Inspirational quotes, guest interviews, live performances and a free downloadable toolkit designed to help activate ideas, goals, and dreams.
- Sept 21st: Dream Peace, two inspirational pieces of art created to celebrate the 35th anniversary of Peace Day and 5th anniversary of World Dream Day, currently on display as part of the Create Peace Project at Karpeles Manuscript Museum.
- 21st– 25th: Live from Detroit Design Festival www.detroitdesignfestival.com
- 24th: The Dream Cypher, virtual poetry reading, 5 Female Poets in honor of the 5th anniversary of World Dream Day. Poets Include Dr. Rama Mani, co-founder of Rising Women Rising World; Toni Blackmon, first US Hip Hop Ambassador; joined by Mila Popovich, Christine Jean-Blain, and Ayo Nish!
*One poetic rendition will be released per hour from 12-5 pm EST.
- 24th: The Quickening, a celebration of women’s voices in music, dance, and poetry celebrated in partnership with Mila Popovich and the 100 Thousand Poets for change initiative. http://bit.ly/100thousandquickening.
- Sept 25th: highlights from the World Dream Day mural created in partnership with the 10th anniversary Global Mural Conference. http://www.gmc2016.com/
- September 25th12:30 EST– The Dream Effect, a keynote designed to activate impact, delivered by internationally acclaimed speaker and strategist Ozioma Egwuonwu, founder of World Dream Day. http://bit.ly/worlddreamday2016
For more information on World Dream Day…
SOCIAL: @dayfordreamers [Facebook/Instagram/Twitter]
THE EVENT: http://www/bit.ly/worlddreamday2016
THE MOVEMENT: www.worlddreamday.org
About World Dream Day
World Dream Day, held on September 25th, is a global day of action dedicated to setting Dreams in motion. Every year, World Dream Day celebrates the power of ideas, goals and dreams to transform lives, businesses, communities and the world. The purpose of the day is to honor the dreamer, visionary and innovator in all of us through live and online events. Presented at TEDx and The United Nations, featured on MSNBC, MTV Voices and numerous blogs, podcasts, World Dream Day has been celebrated in 70+ countries around the world. www.worlddreamday.org
For Inquiries Contact
Call: 800-382-2112 ext 803